I think it’s safe to say that the city of Baltimore skipped winter this year, which is not surprising – spend a day here and you’ll quickly learn that Baltimore weather is more bipolar than a polar bear…on vacation…in Cancun? (That was bad, I know. Strugz) It’s a beautiful 57 degrees outside today, and the abundance of sunshine these past couple of weeks has made spring midterms much more bearable. More and more students are venturing outside to study (see: tan) on the Beach or on the Quads, which provides endless entertainment in the form of people-watching.
In the spirit of all things totally non-creepy and normal, I’ve compiled a list of all the people/spring happenings that I’ve “spotted” around campus this semester:
1. Spotted: Flip flops, maxi skirts, clown noses, zebra-print pants, oh my!
- Where: All around campus
- When: End of February/March
- What: Okay, so maybe I’m the only one who’s remotely excited about getting to wear warm-weather outfits, but the bizarre spectrum of clothes that students are starting to wear around campus is definitely worth noting. Spring fashion aside, I’ve also recently seen a really aggressive pair of blue zebra-print pants (Leggings? For everyone’s sake I hope they were pants) at a Hopkins basketball game, fraternity pledges sporting red clown noses to class, someone in a green Spandex bodysuit in the FFC (casual), and Greek letters on Letter Wednesdays (“On Wednesdays we wear pink!”).
- Completely irrelevant sidenote: This is probably completely uninteresting to anyone but myself, but I’m determined to bring the recent maxi dress and maxi skirt trend to Hopkins. I don’t care if I have to wear a down jacket with them because Baltimore weather is PMS-ing and I end up looking like my wardrobe’s having an identity crisis – it’s happening.
2. Spotted: Sorority Big/Little Profiles
- Where: Facebook
- When: Leading up to Secret Week and Revelation, which are next week (!!!)
- What: Each New Member joins a “family” composed of a sophomore (their “Big”), junior (their Big’s “Big”), and a senior (their Big^3). Everyone’s Big remains a secret, and they create fake Facebook profiles for their “Littles” (the New Members) to communicate with them throughout Secret Week, which is when they shower you with gifts and try to keep you guessing. The Littles find out who their Bigs are during Revelation, which happens on the last day of Secret Week.
- Completely irrelevant sidenote: I believe JHU_Nick also has a fake Big/Little profile…surprising? Not even a little bit.
3. Spotted: Krispy Kreme
- Where: CharMar
- When: Since the start of the semester
- What: CharMar’s newest installation, a Krispy Kreme Donut station, which is SO GOOD but so bad for my arteries/planned maxi dress takeover/fitting into clothes in general.
4. Spotted: Glitter…lots of it
- Where: Everywhere…no, really. Everywhere.
- When: Now
- What/Why: I’m currently in the process of making my costume for Alpha Phi’s “Under the Sea” themed mixer tonight, and am planning on going as The Rainbow Fish – yes, as in the children’s book. So, naturally, this entails making colorful construction paper/glittery scales and sticking them all over myself. Fun fact: University Market, or UniMini, actually sells old-school Elmer’s glue for arts and crafts – who knew?
- Completely irrelevant sidenote: Julia ordered a plastic shark head online, and our friend/floormate Emma may or may not be going as a shark attack victim. (Themed parties are pretty much an excuse for us to do/wear completely ridiculous and fashion-forward things that society normally frowns upon. See: #1) Pictures to come!
5. Spotted: Super secret study/tanning spot
- Where: Undisclosed location
- When: All semester long
- Who: Me, Julia, and Sonu
- What/Why: Ask us no questions and we’ll tell you no lies.
6. Spotted: Wolman Lobby re-opening
- Where: Wolman Hall
- When: Last Thursday, March 1
- What: The Wolman renovations have been going on since November, and the latest “re-opening” has been the new lobby, complete with turnstiles that won’t amputate your knees, a new study area, and first-floor access to the mailroom, multi-purpose room, computer lab, and expanded workout room on Terrace Level downstairs!
- Where: The FFC
- When: Since the start of the semester
- What: Made-to-order fruit smoothies (the smoothie lady’s name is Miss Ruthie – needless to say, we bonded), new flavored syrup pumps for coffee, a new orange juice machine, and more!
- Where: Around campus
- When: Just in time for SOHOP and the Regular Decision release
- What: I have to admit, I still get really excited when I meet prospies/pre-frosh. The Fall Open Houses were surprisingly fun last semester, and brainstorming for SOHOP in April with SAAB is reminding me of how crucial this time was last year in my decision-making. I love seeing the huge tour groups around campus, and always offer to point visitors in the right direction if they look like they’re lost, because I remember a current student doing the same for me when I visited for the first time.
- Completely irrelevant sidenote: The other day, Julia and I were in Mason Hall and saw a prospective student and her father trying to figure out the campus map in the lobby. After debating whether or not it was socially acceptable to offer to show them around, we boldly (awkwardly?) introduced ourselves and took them around to the Hut, the Freshman Quad, the Rec Center, and looped back around to Mason Hall. Looking back, I’m still not entirely sure how/why we were so overwhelmingly excited about showing them the campus and answering their questions…or if that was too forward of us. (True Life: I’m Addicted to Embarrassing Myself? MTV, take notes.)
Stay tuned for more spring events! (Passion Pit is coming to Spring Fair this year OMGAH FREAKING OUT EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO DIE OF HAPPINESS KBYE)