Live Blogging on RD Notification Day (2010)

A long-standing tradition of the Hopkins Insider blog is that on a decision release day I attempt the task of live blogging all the events of the day. Despite an always packed “to do” list on these days, I do try to update the blog as frequently as possible and provide a running tour through the day. For those just visiting the blog for the first time ever or for the first time in a few weeks, I strongly encourage you to check out a few past entries that discuss how everything will work today:

March 18, 2010 – Status Update: What We Know Now
March 25, 2010 – Breaking News: RD Notification Release Explained
March 30, 2010 – The Light Approaches and it is Bright

In addition to checking for updates throughout the day here on the Hopkins Insider blog, you can also follow me on my Twitter account: @AdmissionDaniel. (That is really for the people who are looking for updates in 140 characters or less.)

**************************************************************************************************************************
5:41 a.m. – Good morning. My mental alarm clock went off about 15 minutes ago, just about five ahead of my physical alarm clock. Despite only about six hours of sleep and a messed up sleep schedule for the last few weeks, I feel good and feel quite excited to tackle another decision release day. This will be my tenth regular decision notification day and twentieth overall if you count early decision days separately. I am also excited because it appears that the rainy, cold, and gloomy weather that has overtaken Baltimore the last few days has lifted, and some beautiful spring weather is upon us. I am off to start my day with the traditional shaving of the beard, a refreshing shower, and then the quick drive into the office.

As the day begins, I thought I would share one of my favorite new photos of the Johns Hopkins Homewood campus. It was taken by one of the freshman members of the Student Admissions Advisory Board (the students behind Hopkins Interactive), JHU_Greco. Greco takes simply amazing pictures which he shares on his blog and often in our Facebook groups too. This is just such a stunning picture and every time I look at it, it reminds me how much I love working at Homewood and the beautiful surroundings I and the students get to enjoy each and every day.

Sun rises over Homewood

Sun rises over Homewood

7:03 a.m. – In the office early and everything is so peaceful. The weather outside is beautiful and inside everything is well organized. We will now just wait for Dean Latting to inform the staff that all decisions are final and sealed. Then one final check that all the decisions match the correct letters. Before all that begins though I need to start with my daily morning routine.

A peaceful dawn ascends upon Homewood

A peaceful dawn ascends upon Homewood

An organized Operations room awaits the madness to come.

An organized Operations room awaits the madness to come.

7:55 a.m. – My morning routine of responding to e-mails and checking all the Web sites connected to Hopkins Interactive is complete. I also did my daily Mensa Puzzle and I got it right. Can you?

Daily Mensa Question: Can you get it right?

Daily Mensa Question: Can you get it right?

8:45 a.m. – Over the last couple of days as we prepared the decision packets I snapped a collection of photos. Enjoy this slideshow as I go check in with my colleagues to see how everything is progressing.

9:46 a.m. – Nothing really to update right now. We are just waiting to hear from Dean Latting that the class is set. I am sitting at my desk listening to some Phoenix songs (a new favorite for me) and working on some Web projects.

10:34 a.m. – Just got the news from Dean Latting that the class is set so now the heavy work begins. First the checks … then the double checks … and then it is off to the post office. There will be radio silence for the next few hours as I will busy with my colleagues getting all the decision packets and letters out with today’s mail.
2:25 p.m. – All the decisions are now at the main Baltimore city postal depot and are out of our hands. I just returned to Mason Hall after dropping off all the admit packets and deny and wait list letters. The trip downtown in two SVUs is one of the best parts of the day. I shared the drive with my colleagues John, Shannon, and Sarah and then enjoyed (?) a healthy McDonald’s lunch. Now I have a ton of work to do before the release of e-mail notifications at 7:00 p.m. I will have another photo slideshow up soon. *************************************************************************************************************************
4:16 p.m. – As promised here is slideshow number two featuring the final phases of our decision release process.

4:29 p.m. – My day at the office is done. I am heading home to get ready for the release of the decision e-mails starting at 7:00 p.m. EDT. So happy that I will be able to drive home with the windows down, the sunroof open, sunglasses on, and The Killers rocking on the radio.
5:43 p.m. – Made it home, unwound for a few minutes, and now I am all set-up to make sure everything goes smooth tonight with the release of e-mail notifications. As I headed out of the office and made one last jaunt up to the third floor – our Operations center – and snapped one last picture. Enjoy. I’ll be back around 6:30 p.m. with some reminders about how the release of e-mail notifications will work.

Our Operations center is empty = we are done!

Our Operations center is empty = we are done!

6:15 p.m. — So with less than an hour left before the release of the e-mail notifications I want to post a few reminders and also a piece of advice. Reminders first:

– E-mails will start going out AROUND 7:00 p.m. EDT. This does not mean you will get your e-mail exactly at 7:00 p.m. It can take up to 3 hours for all the e-mails to be sent.
– We DO NOT have an online system where you log-in to get your decision.
DO NOT share your decision e-mail with others nor post the message on any public form or Web site. The e-mails contain personalized information.
– If you do not receive an e-mail tonight, please refer to the suggestions I provided in my previous blog post. Scroll down to the picture of two people in a large mail bin and you will see my comments.
– BME decisions will be sent as a separate e-mail tonight. Only students who selected BME as their first choice major on the JHU supplement will receive a BME decision e-mail.
– If you applied for financial aid, the Office of Student Financial Services will open up access to view financial aid awards on ISIS at 8pm this evening. You will see in your ISIS account the following message about financial aid awards:

Financial aid award letters and supporting information were included in the admissions packets that have been mailed.   Many of your questions about financial aid will be answered by these materials.  To help us help you, please read the materials before talking with one of our advisors.  Thank you.

Once again, all information about how the release of decision is explained in my March 25 blog post.

Now some advice …
I wish each and everyone of you the best as you receive your decisions tonight. My strong suggestion is that after you read your decision, log-off of your computer and go spend some time with your family. No matter what the decision is!!!

This is a major moment in your young life, and family is who you should share your initial thoughts and emotions with. Your family has been there since the first moment of your life, and they will be there FOREVER. Your family is not some online community. Afterwards you can log-on and share with others. Let the news sink in first. React in the real world before entering the cyber world. OK, that is just my two cents … but I do hope you all heed it.

That’s all for now. I’ll probably update once of twice more tonight. Best wishes to all of you and it has been a wonderful ride this year.
6: 29 p.m. — Oops, forgot one thing. Tomorrow I will be posting three entries to the blog – a Post for Admits, a Post for Wait-Listed Students, and a Post for the Denied. Do check back tomorrow and read through the entries as I hope they will assist all of you.
10:33 p.m. — Whew. Three and a half hours of behind-the-scenes work. All decisions have now been released. There will be a lot of work the next couple of days, but it is bed time for me now. Make sure to check back tomorrow for specific posts dedicated to the admits, wait-listed, and denies. I wish I had something more poignant to say at the end of this long day of blogging, but unfortunately all I have left is just to say Good Night.

21 Comments

• By mbk, March 31, 2010 @ 5:33 AM

Too early…….oh no, the beard is gone??

• By Steven, March 31, 2010 @ 7:05 AM

The picture is back and once again perfect timing! Looking forward to hearing the results. Working and waiting for 18 yrs has come down to a few more hours. Will meet up on the live blog on twitter. Thanks again for the dedication and hard work.

• By JHU_Daniel, March 31, 2010 @ 9:56 AM

SO excited the decisions are coming out today! SUCH a nervous, hectic day for me last year and it’s so hard not to stress out about. Good luck, applicants!

• By Chris Rowland, March 31, 2010 @ 10:07 AM

Thanks for all you’ve done to keep us notified for the past few weeks. I’m super nervous that I’ll be one of the many deny letters, but I know that even if I don’t get accepted, someone more deserving will. Thanks to you and all of the admissions team for all of your hard work!

• By Tim, March 31, 2010 @ 12:44 PM

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. I put so much work into my application and it’s great to see how much time you’re taking out of an already insane day to let everyone know what’s going on. Even if I get rejected, you’ve made the process much less stressful. Thanks!

• By Mary, March 31, 2010 @ 1:53 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated! I love reading your posts and I hang onto every word haha.

• By Michelle Brown, March 31, 2010 @ 2:02 PM

Love the rotating Picasa slide show! Fancy!

• By JM, March 31, 2010 @ 2:58 PM

Would that be 21 teachers in the Mensa school?

• By Trey, March 31, 2010 @ 5:43 PM

Hi Daniel, when do you expect to release the final numbers (in particular, the acceptance rate)?

• By jhu class of 2006, March 31, 2010 @ 5:49 PM

This showed up on a google alert. Getting the admit envelope was one of the best moments of my life in march 2002. Good luck to those of you that get in and hopefully the lacrosse admits will turn in a better performance than the current folks.

• By Tracey, March 31, 2010 @ 7:13 PM

As a mother of a child that has spent his entire childhood wanting to attend this school I will say that the process that takes place can not be one that is based on personality, academics, and gpa as stated by the school. I know for a fact that there are people who have been excepted and have less rigorious course study, gpa’s, sat scores and are planning on being the life of the party. The only thing I know different was money because we didn’t disclose the fact he has a full ride wherever and they did.

• By Aleks Nikolic, March 31, 2010 @ 8:43 PM

I got accepted!!! I’m so excited!!!! Best day of my life!!!

• By Admissions_Daniel, March 31, 2010 @ 9:39 PM

To all who posted comments, thank you. I am glad for many of you this blog helped and I appreciate the positive comments.

@JM: 21 was the answer. Good job.

@Trey: I will hopefully post that information at the end of the week; at the latest it will be early next week.

@jhu class of 2006: Thanks for sharing and I am so glad to hear you had such a positive experience.

@Tracey: I respect your anger and you are free to have your opinion about how our admissions process works. However, I stand by all that I have written in the past about how we make admissions decisions at Hopkins and I will always defend our fair, and holistic process.

• By Leigh Lieberman, March 31, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

Just for the record, when I got my package from JHU way back in March 2002, the mailman came to my door and demanded that I pay him postage before he handed over the large envelop. *Apparently* someone in Garland forgot to put postage on my admit packet. I have to say, I was relieved by the outcome – it would have been pretty awful to have to pay to receive a rejection letter.

Good luck to everyone who received decisions today! And thanks for all you do, JHU_Daniel!

• By Tushar, March 31, 2010 @ 11:03 PM

Awesome post…btw…are the admit letters for graduates out as well?

• By Tracey, March 31, 2010 @ 11:29 PM

@Barry…..sorry for not responding sooner…had a few things to take care of first. As for the full ride, well he doesn’t need help paying for his education by any university. His education was being paid in full by the Orthopedic Surgeon that he shadows. He has literaly stood next to this man in the O.R. for 16 hrs a day for the last 2 years watching and learning from one of the best in our country. The doctor has promised a full ride to college reguardless of choice of school. Plus he can continue to work with him throughout school and has a career with the practice after completion. By the way…the person who got accepted won’t be attending, never really wanted to attend, can’t afford to, and I have known the parents my entire life and the child since birth. I would never say the things I did if I couldn’t back them with the proof. In light of the situation they wish they could give the admit to my son knowing it was the school of his choice and their child was never going to attend(just applied because had a fee wavier and just to see if they would be accepted). Which the other child is going to our local school to become a teacher…go figure. But no chance of that since my son didn’t even get on the wait list. I promise you if you saw the information for both children it would leaving you scratching your head. Hope this answers your question. One last thing…I didn’t post because my child was crushed…they were disappointed yes, but they have offers for many other excellent schools, as a matter of fact they went straight to admit pack for the one they are going to attend and finished the stuffing of the envelope to get it out in the mail. I think the parents of both the students are the ones who were crushed..me because I had high regards for the school and thought it was the best choice and them because they say they feel as though their child may have taken away the chance. I of course told them that is not the case. Also…might I ask who you are…student, parent, or something other?

• By Joe, April 1, 2010 @ 4:44 AM

Daniel – Can you post a 4th entry today with advice for applicants like me who waited by the computer all night and did not receive an e-mail from you? Yes, my e-mail address was included in my app and I have received other e-mails recently from JHU but not the important one. Thanks.

• By Jackie Nisenson, April 1, 2010 @ 7:57 AM

Went on the tour…did everything that was asked and listened to how you guys accepted on the total child. Got an admissions officer who did not respond during the process and a rejection letter from you yesterday. Thanks for teaching my child how truly unfair the world really is….You are looking at other factors besides GPA. activities, essays…what are you really looking at!!!!It is unfair not to tell us..

• By Annie, April 1, 2010 @ 9:30 AM

It’s certainly a fair world when a person with 2320 SAT, 35 ACT, and a 4.25 GPA gets rejected in place of someone with below a 2000, below a 4.0, and one who skips class at every possible time in order to skive off tests. Nothing pissed me off more than this.
    I was sure I would be admitted to JHU, somewhere I’ve wanted to go since 7th grade. And if you guys honestly do take the holistic approach, why deny someone who besides those pretty amazing stats has over 600 volunteer hours, is president of several honor societies, AND co-captain of their tennis team?

Most baffling thing ever.

• By Sam, April 1, 2010 @ 11:05 AM

Annie, and Others like you

You guys act as if Johns Hopkins University is NOT a top university in the World. There must be several approaches for the way Hopkins admits students. It can not just be assumed that having a high SAT, GPA, and good extra-curriculars will get you in. At the end of the day, they are trying to accept a PERSON not just a RESUME. You may look great on paper, but miscellaneous things like a shoddy, unpersonal, and unfulfilling essay or a disappointing recommendation could very well cause doubt on who you are as a person.
    Johns Hopkins is not merely picking the bright students, but it is also picking the best people to make up a class. That means it must also take into consideration how they may want active students, students talented in unorthodox ways, students who have a history of taking initiative, etc. Just because you weren’t accepted, does not mean Johns Hopkins has a vendetta against you.
    If you TRULY believe this is the case, I would question your arrogance and pride, more than I would question the decision by Johns Hopkins. The fact that you would get so flustered over this decision and become outright indignant shows that they probably made the right choice, and that you were probably just padding your resume with no real growth.

Anyways, I’m sure you’ll get in somewhere, and best of luck!

Sam

• By Jackie, April 1, 2010 @ 8:13 PM

Dear John(s) Hopkins Admissions Officers,

Thank you so much for accepting me into the Class of 2014! I could not be anymore ecstatic! (To preface this story, I’ll have you know that I am generally a quite calm and composed person.) When I got the email last night, I ran around my house screaming at the top of my lungs, jumping up and down for about 15 minutes. And when that wasn’t enough, I decided to take a victory lap around my neighborhood (roughly two miles). During my triumphant run, I saved a puppy from being hit by a car, showed a lost boy his way home, and literary ran into my best friend. Afterwards, I treaty myself to oh, maybe one, two or seven chocolate chip cookies.

Needless to say, it was the best day of my life. And a day later, I’m just as thrilled!

Thanks again, JHU admissions officers! You made my day, my week and maybe even my life.

Jackie