Class of 2020 Blog

Posts from the Johns Hopkins Class of 2020



I was eating dinner at the FFC the other day when my friend mentioned that, seeing as the semester was already half over, we were 1/16 of the way through our entire college experience. This came as a bit of a shock–it may not seem like much, but it meant I was one-fourth of the way through the year. One-fourth of the way through my time in Wolman 2 east, of my 19-swipes-a-week meal plan, of being a new, inexperienced freshman. It got me wondering: where has all the time gone? To find out, I decided to document every single thing I did in one day. Without further ado:

7:56 – Wake up, drag myself out of bed, get ready for the day. I check the weather and decide I don’t need a jacket, again. The temperature got into the 80’s last week, which I, a born-and-raised New Englander, found extremely unsettling.


I have a dairy, a fruit, and a grain.

8:15 – Meet up with my friends Kaitlin and Billy in the Wolman lobby and walk to the FFC for breakfast. Though tempted by pancakes, croissants, and cinnamon rolls, I decide to be healthy.
8:45 – Leave the FFC and head to Brody. My first class isn’t until 10, so I can get in a good hour of studying for my Intro to Cognitive Neuropsychology exam tomorrow.
9:53 – Leave Brody and make my way to Gilman for Advanced Spanish I. With only 6 people, this is my smallest class, which I enjoy, though it means I have to participate more than most classes.


Gilman Hall

11:00 – Calc I in Shaffer, my second and final class of the day.


Shaffer isn’t quite as impressive as                                Gilman.

11:50 – Leave Shaffer and head back to the FFC to meet Teya and Parth for lunch.


I had a salad, which balances out the 2 helpings of cheese dip.

12:54 – Get some more studying done on a comfy red chair in Mudd.
2:00 – Bike to work. I work at the Village Learning Place, an after-school program for elementary schoolers. The job can be stressful at times, since 5th and 6th graders can be . . . unpredictable, but it’s rewarding and a relatively low time commitment.
5:45 – Leave work. The return trip is all uphill, so I’m panting by the time I get back to Wolman.



The lecturer showed a lot of pictures of pretty houses.

6:00 – Attend a lecture on the architecture and city planning of Baltimore. I’m there to cover the event for the News-Letter, but it’s an interesting topic and I find myself learning many new things about the city I now call home.
7:15 – head back to Wolman to take a break and regroup after a long day.
8:00 – go out to the common room with Zooey and Teya to do some homework and more studying for tomorrow’s exam.
11:10 – I haven’t eaten since noon so Teya and I head to late night. When I see they have waffle fries, any attempts to be healthy are promptly abandoned.


The apple cinnamon french toast was also amazing.

11:40 – Back to Wolman for more studying.
12:15 – Finish work for the night. Go back to my room, get ready for bed, eventually manage to actually go to sleep.

All listed out, it may look like a lot, but the day honestly flew by, as have the past few weeks and months. I know I’m still a freshman, and my college career has barely begun, but I can’t help feeling that before I know it, that 1/16 will turn into 1/8, then 1/4, then 1/2 . . .

I decide to stop worrying about fractions and focus on making the most of each day. Busy or relaxing, boring or exciting, every moment has something new and amazing to offer.

Comments are closed.