Student Travel Guide: JHU to Reagan National Airport
Total Travel Time: 1.5 hours
The leaves have changed color, midterms are over, and only a handful of students remain on campus – which can only mean one thing: Thanksgiving Break! For the most part, students remain on campus, travel with friends, or return home via plane, bus, or train. This time around, I’m flying back to Denver out of Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA) in Washington D.C.
Hopefully this post will help those of you who find themselves flying out of D.C. – happy travels!
1.Plan out your trip (VERY IMPORTANT)
a. Check-In 24 hours early for your flight and print your ticket/have your mobile boarding pass ready
b. Look up the JHMI schedule to Penn Station (runs every 15 minutes on weekdays and every 50 minutes on weekends) or check Next Bus to see when the Purple Charm City Circulator stops in front of Charles Commons
c. Find your departure time for the Penn Line Southbound MARC train to Union Station (weekday/weekend schedules differ)
– Tickets cost $8 and can be purchased at the ticket counter or Amtrak Ticket kiosk
d. Figure out which Metro Lines you need to take to get to the Reagan Airport
-The fare from Union Station to Reagan Airport is $4.40 using the SmarTrip fare card. It’s a rechargeable fare card that can be purchased at any Metrorail station or online.
e. Locate your Terminal at the Airport
2. Take the JHMI or Charm City Circulator to Penn Station
3.Buy your MARC ticket at the counter or the Amtrak Kiosk located to your immediate right after entering the station. Wait on the benches until your train is boarding, then walk down to the platform to the MARC.
4.Get off at Union Station- feel free to walk around and eat at the food court or shop if you have time. If not, take an immediate right after getting off the MARC trail to take the Metro Rail.
4. Take the Red Line to Chinatown. Purchase a SmartTrip card from the booth or load money onto your card using the vending machine.
5. Transfer to the Yellow Line to go to Reagan Airport. Get off the Red Line at Gallery Place and go up the escalator to take the Yellow Line.
6. Arrive at Nat’l – walk to your Terminal
- Pack Snacks
- Remember your water bottle!
- Bring a book to read
- Finish your assignments before leaving for break