When cherry blossoms burgeon on the trees on the path up the Beach and you hear squirrels skitter through the grassy fields of the quads, you can smell it in the air: Hopkins’s spring has sprung. Waking up no longer feels like a battle and all you see are traces of vibrant sandals on everyone’s feet. Spring at Hopkins is as fresh as it can get, as nature treats itself with a sprinkle of rain every now and then. What is exciting is the exploration that could be done in this location. A rendezvous for students to learn and be mentally stimulated, Hopkins in April teems with life as new and upcoming concerts, events, fairs are ready to showcase. Here’s a snippet of what the excitement is all about.
- Spring Fair: A time when Hopkins students revel in the festivities of food trucks, vendors, the petting zoo, music performances, and of course, the beer garden.
- Concerts: This year, The Chainsmokers performed live on the campus.
- Doughnut Sales: Before the week of Spring Fair, many organizations built up the momentum of spring fair by selling a city favorite, B-doughnut doughnuts.
- Banquets: To celebrate the looming end of the 2015-2016 year, many cultural clubs are having one last reunion through banquets. Specifically, the Korean Students Association will host a banquet that’ll bring students together to enjoy a little of home away from home.
This time of the year has a new cadence, a new rhythm, a new breath. Enliven with music, smiles, and greetings, Hopkins pulsates with a brand new energy.
As 2015 waves us goodbye and 2016 whispers its sweet promises of the new year, there is an ample amount of new experiences that I hope to encounter in the days to come at Johns Hopkins. Here, I am privy to the overflow of unlocked potentials, open doors of opportunities within and beyond our campus. There is absolutely no excuse in staying lackadaisical in your dorm during one’s stay at Hopkins. Complied here are a couple feats I am looking forward to accomplishing in the new coming spring semester of Freshmen year.
- Joining a volunteer extracurricular activity.
- Fending off the gains of Freshmen 15 by regular visits to the gym.
- Going on a spontaneous trip to Washington D.C. via the train.
- Doing an Random Act of Kindness to a stranger/peer/professor at least once a week.
- Using more meal swipes at the FFC.
- Researching about an internship position at a hospital during the summer.
- Getting a hot dog covered in crab meat macaroni and cheese at Stuggy’s
- Staying hydrated.
- Visiting the National Aquarium.
- Finding a mentor.
- Going to Peabody and try learning a new instrument.
- Participating in The HOP held events.
- Cheering for the Blue Jays at a sports event.
- Contacting family more often throughout the year.
- Taking time off studies to have quality time with friends, exploring the Charm City together.
May 2016 bring greater peace to the world, stronger passion in our pursuits, and deeper love in relationships.